Oil pulling is an ancient Indian practice. This requires you to put one table spoon of Coconut Oil in your mouth, then you swish it around in your mouth for 20 minutes. Then you spit it the oil out. This will flush bacteria out of your mouth
Your mouth contains up to 500 different kind of bacteria. Some are good for you and some are not. It’s the harmful bacteria that is responsible for the thin sticky and colorless layer on your teeth better known as plaque.
The plaque will usually accumulate at the gum line. Which will allow a lot more bacteria to grow in the area between your gum and your teeth.
The toxins that these bacteria produces will aggravate your gum causing it to swell and bleed this is a condition known as gingivitis.
The oil pulling process will help to combat these nasty bacteria.
How does oil pulling work?
The Indians traditionally used sunflower or sesame oil. But oil pulling will work with pretty much any oil.
The reason I use organic virgin coconut oil is because of the high level of lauric acid that it contains. Lauric acid has been confirmed to have anti-fungal, antiviral, antimicrobial and antibacterial properties. And the taste and smell is a lot more pleasant compared with other oils.
With oil pulling the oil is swished around your mouth, the oil gets deep into all the hard to reach places flushing out the bacteria and loosening the plaque build up on your teeth. This will make brushing a lot more effective for getting rid of plaque, letting to whiter teeth.
Make sure you swish for the full 20 minutes because this allows the oil the time to flush out as much bacteria as possible.
What are the benefits of oil pulling?
Oil pulling will help kill bacteria that causes gum diseases. Gum disease is responsible for bad breath, receding gum line and eventually loss of teeth.
There is around 75% of Americans that have gum disease but don’t know that they have it. This is because the symptoms are very mild.
Your gums will slowly separate from your teeth without you really noticing it, the tooth will start loosening, and before you know it that tooth can’t be saved and will need to be extracted.
The benefits of oil pulling is not only isolated to your mouth and gum. In fact gum diseases like gingivitis and periodontitis not only effects your gum and teeth it will affect the rest of your body as well.
The toxin from these harmful bacterial will get into you bloodstream from your mouth spreading through out your body.
These bacteria can also get into your body by you just swallowing your saliva. And you swallow hundreds of times daily. That is a lot of bacteria getting into your body.
This will lead to other health issues like headaches, ulcers, intestinal diseases, heart diseases, kidney diseases, Diabetes,lung diseases, liver diseases, bronchitis, high blood pressure, Alzheimer’s, respiratory illness and more.
So by killing the harmful bacteria that resides in your mouth and gum. You will stop them and the toxins that they produce from spreading throughout your body. And you will notice and improvement to your general health. And your oral health.
Coconut oil pulling process
- The best time for oil pulling is in the morning before you have anything to eat or drink.
- Take a table spoon worth out of the jar, it will still be solid but it will quickly melt in your mouth.
- Now swish the oil around in your mouth, make sure you swish it back and forth between your teeth and side to side across your gum you want to get it into every little nook and cranny in your mouth over and over again.
- It is very important that you swish for 20 minutes, any less and it won’t work, too long and you run the risk of the bacteria and toxins getting reabsorbed back into you body.
- Avoid swallowing the oil after all the swishing. A little won’t hurt, but try not to ingest too much because you will be swallowing what your trying to get rid of.
- Once the swishing is done spit it out. Don’t spit it down the sink because coconut oil will solidify and over time it will clog up you sink. Spit it in the rubbish.
- The oil should be a thin, milky and white consistency.
- Gargle and rinse your mouth out with water
- Scrape your tongue to get rid of any oil stuck to it.
- Then finish off by brushing your teeth as you normally would.
If you suffer from gum disease I recommend adding this to your oral care routine. You should start to notice improvement to your gums and teeth after a week. But anyone can add this to their oral care routine. Because the benefit is immense. Do not use oil pulling as a substitute for brushing.
The oil I use is organic virgin coconut oil. Because of the benefits coconut oil offers and I prefer the smell compared to other oils. But you can use any oil that you prefer.